1. William Penn, the founder of Pennsylvania, vigorously defended the right of every citizen to freedom of choice in religion.
[A] strongly [B] justifiably [C] initially [D] violently
2. The small child was unknowingly tormenting the puppy as he played with it.
[A] pleasing [B] tantalizing [C] titillating [D] torturing
3. Generally speaking, a material with a sour taste, such as vinegar or lemon juice, contains an acid.
[A] tart [B] (an) oily [C] fruity [D] bland
4. The mother was reluctant to give her son the keys to her car.
[A] obdurate [B] unwilling [C] negligent [D] palpable
5. Alvar Aato is considered one of the preeminent architects of the twentieth century.
[A] eclectic [B] outstanding [C] negligent [D] controversial
6. The directors faced a predicament in trying to meet the deadline.
[A] (an) enigma [B] quandary [C] task [D] (an) occasion
7. German meteorologists have correlated each of six weather phases with the onset of certain medical conditions, ranging from epilepsy to stomach pains.
[A] worsening [B] pain [C] diagnosis [D] start
8. Attitudes on the two sides in the Revolutionary War precluded the possibility of a peaceful solution.
[A] presaged [B] prejudiced [C] anticipated [D] prevented
9. During the Middle Ages, the sciences were considered to be based in the occult.
[A] psychology [B] anthropology [C] fundamental [D] supernatural
10. Millennia have passed since the pyramids were built.
[A] Hundreds of years [B] Several centuries [C] Thousands of years [D] Millions of decades