1. People learn in different ways. Some people learn by doing things; other people learn by reading about things; others learn by listening to people talk about things. Which of these methods of learning is best for you?
2. Some people trust their first impressions about a person s character because they believe these judgments are generally correct. Other people do not judge a person s character quickly because they believe first impressions are often wrong. Compare these two attitudes. Which attitude do you agree with?
3. A university plans to develop a new research center in your country. Some people want a center for business research. Other people want a center for research in agriculture (farming). Which of these two kinds of research centers do you recommend for your country?
4. How do movies or television influence people s behavior?
5. Some people prefer to work for a large company. Others prefer to work for a small company. Which would you prefer? Use specific reasons and details to support your choice.
6. It has recently been announced that a new movie theater (a shopping center/ a new restaurant/ a new high school) may be built in your neighborhood.
7. A company has announced that it wishes to build a large factory near your community. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of this new influence on your community. Do you support or oppose the factory?
8 Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Face-to-face communication is better than other types of communication, such as letters, email, or telephone calls. Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.
9. Imagine that you have received some land to use as you wish. How would you use this land?
10. Many parts of the world are losing important natural resources, such as forests, animals, or clean water. Choose one resource that is disappearing and explain why it needs to be saved.
11. When people move to another country, some of them decide to follow the customs of the new country. Others prefer to keep their own customs. Compare these two choices. Which one do you prefer?
12. Some people think we should spend as much money as possible exploring outer space (for example, traveling to the moon and to other planets). Other people disagree and think we should spend this money for our basic needs on Earth. Which of these two opinions do you agree with?
13. What is one of the most important decisions you have made? Why was this decision important?
14 In general, people are living longer now. How will this change affect society?
15 We all work or will work in our jobs with many different kinds of people. In your opinion, what are some important characteristics of a co-worker (someone you work closely with)?
16. In some countries, teenagers have jobs while they are still students. Do you think this is a good idea?
17. A person you know is planning to move to your town or city. What do you think this person would like and dislike about living in your town or city? Why?
18. When famous people such as actors, athletes and rock stars give their opinions, many people listen. Do you think we should pay attention to these opinions?
19. People remember special gifts or presents that they have received. Why?
20. Some famous athletes and entertainers earn millions of dollars every year. Do you think these people deserve such high salaries?
21. Your school has enough money to purchase either computers for students or books for the library. Which should your school choose to buy-computers or books?
22. If you could know something about the future, what would you choose to know about and why?
23 People listen to music for different reasons and at different times. Why is music important to many people?
24. Every generation of people is different in important ways. How is your generation different from your parents generation?
25. You want to persuade someone to study your native language. What reasons would you give?
26 You have been asked to suggest improvements to a park that you have visited. This might be a city park, a regional park, or a national park. What improvements would you make? Why?
27. If you were asked to send one thing representing your country to an international exhibition, what would you choose? Why?
28. There are many different kinds of advertising (on the radio, on television, in newspapers in magazines, and on billboards). In your opinion, which one of these kinds of advertising is the most effective? Why?
29. Many people have a close relationship with their pets. These people treat their birds, cats, or other animals as members of their family. In your opinion, are such relationships good? Why or why not?
30. Advertising helps to sell products. Describe the qualities of an effective advertisement.