1. Some people think that libraries should be quiet because of study while others think that people could do some social activities and interactions there. Which do you think is better?
Yeah, of course libraries should be quiet. Definitely. Everywhere else in the city is noisy. It’s noisy inside and outside. Libraries shouldn’t be noisy, too.
Last week I went to the library to do homework because it’s noisy at my house, but there was a group of other kids talking and laughing the whole time. I was so angry! If I can’t go to the library to find some quiet, where can I go?
I mean, I get that students want a place for activities like study groups or something. But they can do that anywhere. Like, really, anywhere. Go to a coffee shop or even just sit outside somewhere. They don’t need to come into the one place that’s supposed to be quiet.
2. Some people prefer to do shopping in large grocery stores or department stores. Others prefer to do shopping in small specialty stores. Which do you prefer and why? Use specific reasons and examples to support your response.
As far as I am concerned, I would like to do shopping in large grocery stores or department stores, because the quality of goods in large stores is usually better than in small ones. Just some days before, I bought a mobile phone in small shop and it broke down in two days later. I Actually, usually bought things in big shops. However, that day, because of the low price, fail to resist the temptation, in the small store, I bought a mobile phone. And then it did not work in just two days. Since then, never will I shop in small stores. Therefore, as for me, I would definitely prefer to shop in large stores rather than shop in small stores.
3. Do you agree or disagree with the statement that it is required to get to know the local culture whenever going to a new country?
I think getting to know the local culture is a good thing, because it will expand our horizon and enrich our lives. Taking the eating culture for example, if you get to know its eating culture whenever you go to a new country, you may find there is a variety of cuisines in the world, such as the Japanese sushi culture, Korean kimchi culture, Italian spaghetti culture, Spanish paella culture and so on. You will feel how wonderful and how various the world is. On the contrary, if you refuse to get to know different culture, you will not see other facets of the world.
4. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is acceptable to ask people who have more influence for help to get a new job.
I don’t like the idea of people using their social influence to get a job. For one, this gives an unfair advantage to those who come from better-connected backgrounds. This might be from having a better education, or a wealthy family with lots of business or political links. This means that poorer people may face greater difficulty in finding a job. Companies should find new employees based on their skill and experience, not their social circle. For another, if someone uses their social influence in this way, then those people may feel used. If everyone relies on this, then it’s hard to know whether someone is contacting you because they like you, or because they want to use you to get something.
5. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is impolite to take pictures of strangers without their permission.
I think it is impolite. When taking photos for strangers, we are supposed to inform them, because this will avoid conflicts and help you get desired photos. When drinking in a cafe or eating in a restaurant, if strangers find you are taking photos for them, they might be angry or even berate you, as you are violating others’ privacy. However, if informing strangers, sometimes the strangers may even be ready to give you the chance or help you to take a good picture by showing gestures and having proper postures. Consequently, you will be more likely to get satisfactory results.