1. (A). Julie had lunch at the grocery store.
(B). Julie needs to buy some food quickly.
(C). Julie must write to her sister immediately.
(D). Julie got a better mark on the test than her sister.
2. (A). Someone else teaches at the university.
(B). He must teach in another department.
(C). He’s not a very strict teacher.
(D). He’s not a history professor.
3. (A). We’ve been friends for a long time.
(B). We haven’t seen each other in a while.
(C). We met only two weeks ago.
(D). We hardly know anything about each other.
4. (A). Dick’s friend made him a present during the vacation.
(B). Dick’s parents said that he had a splendid vacation.
(C). Dick had to stay at home throughout the vacation.
(D). Dick spent all his money while he was on vacation.
5. (A). It’s a difficult poem, isn’t it?
(B). Didn’t you find the poem we were assigned to read?
(C). Wasn’t it hard to stand there and recite that poem?
(D). You lost the poem, didn’t you?
6. (A). Not even he knew what to do.
(B). Everyone knew what he was doing.
(C). He decided to go there alone.
(D). He had become unrecognizable.
7. (A). Taking the subway would get us there faster.
(B). The bus and subway take the same amount of time.
(C). Going by bus would take less time.
(D). The bus goes past the subway station.
8. (A). Sue won the race.
(B). Sue swims only on Mondays.
(C). Sue takes daily walks.
(D). Sue exercise by swimming.
9. (A). The strong winds broke tree limbs and power lines.
(B). The high winds and heavy seas made us feel helpless.
(C). The wind caused heavy flooding and drainage problems.
(D). The power lines damaged some big trees.
10. (A). This afternoon Theresa will give a math lesson.
(B). I’m going to replace Theresa at work later on.
(C). I will help Theresa study math today.
(D). Helping Theresa in the afternoons is going to be easy.
11. (A). Aren’t the chairs inside?
(B).We don’t know which chairs to move.
(C). I think we should take the chairs in.
(D). Why do you want to move the chairs?
12.(A). Kate was excited about the chemistry assignment.
(B). Kate has already disposed of the chemicals.
(C).Kate didn’t do the last assignment in chemistry.
(D). Kate was unhappy about the newest assignment.
13.(A). No one appreciated his art.
(B). The artist did not care for the people at the exhibit.
(C). The artist enjoyed having only young people at the exhibit.
(D). The younger people liked his art.
14.(A). Anyone who plays this game can win.
(B). Molly is a finalist in the competition.
(C). The winner will receive a large sum of cash.
(D). Molly will finally get to learn how to play.
15.(A). I took this coat abroad with me.
(B). This coat is too big for me now.
(C). I purchased this coat while out of the country.
(D). This coat is very broad in the shoulders.
16. (A). There are more pencils in this box than in that one.
(B). Some pencils must be missing from the box.
(C). That box has far more pencils than you can imagine.
(D). I ought to have purchased another box of pencils.
17. (A). Only the brief questions were answered.
(B). Someone was asked to give a speech.
(C). The speaker spent a short while answering questions.
(D). Someone arrived after the speech to ask some questions.
18. (A). It didn’t matter when we studied.
(B). It was hard to study all of it.
(C). We studied the difficult things last.
(D). We didn’t study very much.
19. (A). She’s done a great deal of traveling.
(B). There’s a good reason she’s late.
(C). She’s just finished her share of the work.
(D). Things have been difficult for her recently.
20. (A). This program on yeast isn’t too interesting.
(B). This program is quite interesting.
(C). All the programs are rather boring.
(D). This program is the most boring of all.
BBCCA AADAC CDDBC BCDDB
1. Julie had better go to the supermarket right away because her sister is coming for lunch.
2. He doesn’t teach this department.
3. It seems as though we’ve known each other for a long time instead of just two weeks.
4. Dick’s parents made him spend his vacation at home.
5. I found that poem hard to understand, didn’t you?
6. He himself didn’t know what to do.
7. This trip will be shorter on the subway than on the bus.
8. Sue swims a mile every day to keep in shape.
9. The high winds resulted in heavy damage to trees and power lines.
10. I’m gong to help Theresa with her math this afternoon.
11. Why don’t we move the chairs inside?
12. Kate was really feeling down in the dumps about her latest chemistry assignment.
13. His art was appreciated by the younger people at the exhibit.
14. Whoever wins this game gets to play against Molly in the finals.
15. I bought this coat when I was abroad.
16. There ought to be more pencils than those left in the box.
17. After the speech came a brief question-and-answer session.
18. We hardly studied at all last weekend.
19. She’s been through a lot lately.
20. This television program is not in the least boring..