001. Most of these leaders were involved in public life as reformers, activists working for women's right to vote, or authors, and were not representative at all of the great of ordinary women.
The word "representative" is closest in meaning to which of following?
002. In the United States, Louis Comfort Tiffany (1843-1933) was the most noted exponent of this style, producing a great variety of glass forms and surfaces, which were widely copied in their time and are highly prized today.
The word "prized" is closest in meaning to which of following?
003. The Art Nouveau style was a major force in the decorative arts from 1895 until 1915, although its influence continued throughout the mid-1920's. It was eventually to be overtaken by a new school of thought known as Functionalism that had been present since the turn of the century.
The word "overtaken" is closest in meaning to which of following?
004. During most of their lives, surge glaciers behave like normal glaciers, traveling perhaps only a couple of inches per day. However, at intervals of 10 to 100 years, these glaciers move forward up to 100 times faster than usual.
The word "intervals" is closest in meaning to which of following?
006. A flood of ice would then surge into the Southern Sea. With the continued rise in sea level, more ice would plunge into the ocean, causing sea levels to rise even higher, which in turn would release more ice and set in motion a vicious cycle.
The word "plunge" is closest in meaning to which of following?
(C) mel(A) records
005. The increasing water pressure under the glacier might lift it off its bed, overcoming the friction between ice and rock, thus freeing the glacier, which rapidly sliders downhill surge glaciers also might be influenced by the climate, volcanic heat, or earthquakes.
The word "freeing" is closest in meaning to which of following?
007. Group members look to instrumental leaders to "get things done." Expressive leadership, on the other hand, is leadership that emphasizes the collective well-being of a social group's members.
The word "collective" is closest in meaning to which of following?
008. They offer sympathy when someone experiences difficulties or is subjected to discipline, are quick to lighten a serious
moment with humor, and try to resolve issues that threaten to divide the group.
The word "resolve" is closest in meaning to which of following?
(A) avoid repeating
(B) talk about
(C) avoid thinking about
(D) find a solution for
009. Thousands of tons were extracted before 1875, when it was first noticed that the tar contained fossil remains. Major excavations were undertaken that established the significance of this remarkable site.
The word "noticed" is closest in meaning to which of following?
010. Since then, over 100 tons of fossils, 1.5 million from vertebrates, 2.5 million from invertebrates, have been recovered, often in densely concentrated tangled masses.
The word "tangled" is closest in meaning to which of following?
(A) buried beneath
(B) twisted together
(C) quickly formed
(D) easily dated