51. While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face of physical threats and verbal
attacks was not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused to move to the back of a bus in Montgomery,Alabama.
(A) not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused
(B) not unlike Rosa Parks, who refused
(C) like (Rosa Parks and her refusal
(D) like that of Rosa Parks for refusing
(E) as that of Rosa Parks, who refused
52. The rising of costs of data-processing operations at many financial institutions has created a growing
opportunity for independent companies to provide these services more efficiently and at lower cost.
(A) The rising of costs
(B) Rising costs
(C) The rising cost
(D) Because the rising cost
(E) Because of rising costs
53. There is no consensus on what role. if any, is played by acid rain in slowing the growth or damaging forests
in the eastern United States.
(A) slowing the growth or damaging
(B) the damage or the slowing of the growth of
(C) the damage to or the slowness of the growth of
(D) damaged or slowed growth of
(E) damaging or slowing the growth of
54. Galileo was convinced that natural phenomena, as manifestations of the laws of physics, would appear the
same to someone on the deck of a ship moving smoothly and uniformly through the water as a person
standing on land.
(A) water as a
(B) water as to a
(C) water; just as it would to a
(D) water, as it would to the
(E) water; just as to the
55. A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors had elected early retirement rather
than face the threats of lawsuits and the rising costs of malpractice insurance.
(A) had elected early retirement rather than face
(B) had elected early retirement instead of facing
(C) have elected retiring early instead of facing
(D) have elected to retire early rather than facing
(E) have elected to retire early rather than face