1. One of the most popular and attractive new cars were available for so little money that people thought something was wrong.
(A)were available for so little money that people thought something was
(B)was available for so little money that people thought something were
(C) was available for so little money that people thought something has gone
(D)was available for so little money that people thought something was
(E) was selling for very little money, so people thought of it as something was
2. The tornado ripped through the central part of town, toppling small buildings, uprooting trees, and power lines were snapped.
(A)power lines were snapped
(B)power lines snapping
(C)snapping power lines
(D)snapped power lines
(E)power lines snapped
3. As I entered the Pantheon, a building that has existed in Rome since ancient times, my brother is turning to me to whisper that the great rotunda of the Pantheon was a haven of peace and harmony.
(A)is turning to me to whiner
(B)turned to me and whispered
(C)turns to me and is whispering
(D)turns and also whispers toe me
(E)would turn and whisper to me
4. No one is more sorrier than me that you missed the awards ceremony.
(A)more sorrier than me
(B)sorrier than I
(C)more son like myself
(D)as sorry like I am
(E)sorrier but me
5. Many people were alarmed by the Supreme Court ruling that gave judges discretionary power to determine about closing trials to the public.
(A)about closing trials
(B)whether he or she ought to close trials
(C)whether trials should be closed
(D)if he or she should close trials
(E)the closing of trials, if they wish
6. The mountain's summit having been reached, the weary climbers gazed down upon a scene of indescribable grandeur.
(A)The mountain's summit having been reached
(B)The summit of the mountain being reached
(C)At the mountain's summit, when they reached it
(D)When they reached the mountain's summit
(E)When having reached the mountain's summit
7. Whether the ancient Egyptians actually sailed or did not to South America remains uncertain, but Heyerdahl's Ra II expedition demonstrated that they could have done so.
(A)Whether the ancient Egyptians actually sailed or did not
(B)Whether in actuality the ancient Egyptians sailed or did not
(C)The actuality of the sailing by the ancient Egyptians
(D)That the ancient Egyptians actually sailed
(E)The ancient Egyptians, their actual sailing
8. In 1969 Baldwin High School defeated Ross Academy in the district's first televised quiz bowl game, even so, they did not win again until 1983.
(A)game, even so, they
(B)game, so they
(D)game; as a result, it
(E)game, but it
9. Isolated by the sea, the aboriginal peoples of Australia had developed a unique culture long before the arrival of Europeans.
(A)had developed a unique culture
(B)had a unique culture and it developed
(C)having developed a unique culture
(D)have a unique culture, it developed
(E)have a unique culture; development was
10. Although criticized by a few for her daredevil aviation escapades, most people viewed Amelia Earhart as A skillful pilot.
(A)most people viewed Amelia Earhart as a skillful pilot
(B)most people viewed Amelia Earhart to be a skillful pilot
(C)a skillful pilot was what most people viewed Amelia Earhart as
(D)Amelia Earhart was viewed by most people as a skillful pilot
(E)Amelia Earhart, a skillful pilot in the view of most people