A) rates B) thicknesses C) proportions D) densities
2. You should try to ______ your ambition and be more realistic.
A) reserve B) restrain C) retain D) replace
3. Nancy is only a sort of ______ of her husband's opinion and has no ideas of her own.
A) sample B) reproduction C) shadow D) echo
4. Now that spring is here, you can ______ these fur coats till you need them again next winter.
A) put over B) put away C) put off D) put down
5. There is a _____ of impatience in the tone of his voice.
A) hint B) notion C) dot D) phrase
6. Please ______dictionaries when you are not sure of word spelling or meaning.
A) seek B) inquire C) search D) consult
7. At yesterday's party, Elizabeth's boyfriend amused us by ______ Charlie Chaplin.
A) copying B) following C) imitating D) modeling
8. She keeps a supply of candles in the house in case of power ______.
A) failure B) lack C) absence D) drop
9. The group of technicians are engaged in a study which ______ all aspects of urban planning.
A) inserts B) grips C) performs D) embraces
10. The lecture which lasted about three hours was so ______ that the audience couldn't help yawning.
A) tedious B) bored C) clumsy D) tired
11. The board of the company has decided to ______ its operations to include all aspects of the clothing business.
A) multiply B) lengthen C) expand D) stretch
12. His business was very successful, but it was at the ______ of his family life.
A) consumption B) credit C) exhaustion D) expense
13. First published in 1927, the charts remain an ______ source for researchers.
A) identical B) indispensable C) intelligent D) inevitable
14. Joe is not good at sports, but when it ______mathematics, he is the best in the class.
A) comes to B) comes up to C) comes on to D) comes around to
15. Doctors warned against chewing tobacco as a ______ for smoking.
A) relief B) revival C) substitute D) succession
1.C) proportions 2.B) restrain 3.D) echo 4.B) put away 5.A) hint 6 D) consult 7. C) imitating 8.A) failure 9.D) embraces 10.A) tedious
11.C) expand 12. D) expense 13.B) indispensable 14.A) comes to 15.C) substitute