1. Some people think that scientific research should be carried out and controlled by the government instead of private companies. To what extent do you agree or disagree?252
Scientific discovers are essential to the technological, economic and educational development of a country. Some people believe that scientific research should be conducted and controlled by the government rather than by private companies. Overall, I agree with this view.
2. Traffic and housing problems in major cities could be solved by moving large companies and factories and their employees to the countryside. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?316
The rapidly growing populations and car ownership have caused frequent traffic congestion and housing shortages in major cities. Some people think that the traffic and housing problems can be solved by relocating large companies in these cities to rural areas. I completely agree with this view.
3. With the increasing use of mobile phones and computers, fewer people write letters. Some people think that the traditional skill of letter writing will disappear. To what extent do you agree or disagree? 147
Mobile phones and the internet are so widely used today that many people are concerned that letters may completely disappear from our lives. Although I think this concern is understandable, I do not think it will become a reality.
4. Some people think that children should start school at the age of six or seven while others think that children should start school as young as possible. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion. 75
In many countries today, children start primary school at the age of six. However, people have different views about the best age for them to start school.
5. At most people spend a major part of their adult life at work, job satisfaction is an important element of individual well-being. What factors contribute to job satisfaction? How realistic is the expectation of job satisfaction for all workers?
Nowadays many adults have full-time jobs and the proportion of their lives spent doing such jobs is very high. So feelings about one’s job must reflect how an individual feels about his or her life as a whole, and because of this, job satisfaction is indeed very important to the well-being of that person.