1. Some people think schools should only teach students academic subjects. Others think schools should also teach students how to discriminate between right and wrong. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
2. Some employers think that formal academic qualifications are more important than life experiences and personal qualities when they look for an employee. Why is it the case? Is it a positive or negative development?
3. Schools should concentrate on teaching students the academic subjects that will be useful for their future careers. Subjects such as music and sports are not useful. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
4. Some people think children should obey the rules set by their parents and teachers set, but others think that less control will help children to deal with their future adult life. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
5. Some people think students should go to boarding schools instead of living at home. Do you agree or disagree?
6. Some school leavers tend to go travelling or work for a period of time before going to university directly. What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages and what is your own opinion?
7. Some people think university education should prepare students for employment while others think it should help students acquire theoretical knowledge. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
8. University students always focus on one specialist subject, but some people think universities should encourage their students to study a wide range of subjects in addition to their own subject. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
9. Some teachers think it is effective for students to study in group while others think it is better to study alone. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
10. Some people think that schools should select pupils according to their academic abilities, while others believe that it is better to have pupils with different abilities study together. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
11. Some people believe that some unpaid community service should be a compulsory part of high school programmes. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
12. Some people think that students benefit from going to private secondary schools. Others, however, feel that private secondary schools can have a negative effect on society as a whole. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.