1. His colorful lifestyle aside, Bob Dylan's reputation as a _____ artist stems from the vast number of songs he produced during the 1960s and 1970s.
2. After screenwriter Neil Jordan's most recent work opened in selected urban areas, many theatergoers were (i) _____ , but after pundits expressed their (ii) _____ , acceptance of the film's unique structure increased and demand for a wider release surged.
A. skeptical D. diffidence
B. erratic E. approbation
C. ebullient F. trepidation
3. Many policy makers insist that consumer spending is a strong economic (i) _____ and, therefore, (ii) _____ of retail stores is a contributing factor to low-performing economies. To improve economic conditions in Lakewood, Colorado, the city has begun charging residents a public improvement fee, on top of normal sales tax, which will (iii) _____ tax breaks offered to major retailers to attract their business.
Blank(i) Blank(ii) Blank(iii)
A. stratagem D. a paucity G. indemnify
B. catalyst E. a respite H. liquidate
C. axiom F. an apex I. underwrite
4. The _____ nature of the commencement speech did not sit well with the restless group of recent graduates.
A protracted拖延;绘制 B concise简明的，简洁的 C verbose冗长的;啰嗦的
D vigorous有力的;精力充沛的 E contrite悔悟了的;后悔的 F premeditated预谋的;预先考虑的
5. It was clear after the incident that, while she may have answered truthfully in the strictest sense of the word, Sheryl was actually trying to _____ Sergei.
A enlighten启发，启蒙B delude欺骗;哄骗C illuminate阐明，说明
D covet垂涎;觊觎E gull骗;欺诈F 统计纠正错误
6. Ancient generals, lacking modern technologies such as radio and satellite communication, often found that one of the most significant challenges in warfare was to be accurately _____ the many changes on the battlefield or in the campaign.
A. fortified by
B. adulterated by
C. cognizant of
D. apprised of
E. parodied by
F. chary of
A fortified by加强的B adulterated by掺假的C cognizant of已认识到
D apprised of获悉E parodied by拙劣模仿F chary of谨慎的;仔细的