1. With the numerous opponents of the controversial new taxation measure in such a fury, anyone who publicly advocated the measure did not fail to meet with ________ usage.
2. The paleontologist examines the problem afresh, believing that the accepted classification ________ the essential continuity of the specimens by making specious distinctions among them.
3. Invention was ________ the work of the ancient Greek historian, whose writings were filled with long and purely fictious speeches by great historical figures. The animating force in historical writing was rhetoric rather than ________. Even well into eighteenth century, not a few historians continued to understand themselves as artists, given a license to invent.
A. discouraged in
B. a hallmark of
C. exceptional in
4. Scholars have marveled over the (i)________ that Shakespeare displays in his works, noting that such broad learning is all the more remarkable given that books were relatively (ii)________ in
5. He was never (i) ________: he was nothing if not discreet, so he (ii) ________ for the present to declare his passion.
6. The slow pace of job creation was precedent for the period of recovery from a recession, but the conditions that conspired to cause the recession were also (i)________. The stock market declined sharply, and rampant business investment slumped. Then an ensuing spate of scandals (ii)________ public trust in the way companies were run. And yet, despite these powerful (iii)________ to growth, the recession proved surprisingly mild.
7. A cure for the common cold has been so elusive that it has become a modern symbol of ________.
8. The dictator's gleaming military uniform and imperial paraphernalia sharply contrast with the ____ fashion favored by most other contemporary political leader.
9. Despite her rather ______ choices, Moreland was neither a rebellious spirit nor someone who saw herself as anything out of the ordinary.
10. His premiership, seemingly cast-iron a year ago, is now so vulnerable that even a good day at the office does no more than buy him a few weeks of _______ from rebels within his own party.