1. In the solar system, collisions involving cosmic object are among the most ________ processes shaping surfaces : images of many solar objects show a proliferation of impact craters formed throughout the past 4.5 billion years.
2. Many creative photographers were delighted to find in instant photography a mode that encourage them to stop viewing photography as ________ and start viewing it as something they could handle with spontaneity, even derision.
3. Recent scholarship has questioned the (i)________ of tropical forests aroused the world, archaeologists have shown, for example, that the largest contiguous tract of what was thought to be virgin forest in the southern Amazon had been transformed into a cultural parkland before European contact, and many of the forest island in West Africa’s savanna forest transition zone are ii)________ as well.
4. The research found that in assessing others, many people hold an unconscious view that competence and warmth are (i)________: when they perceive a person to be highly capable, they infer that he or she must have a tendency to be ii)________.
A. equally important
B. mutually reinforcing
C. inversely related
5. Mr. Stevens found that home schooling, far from representing (i) ________ philosophy (ii) ________ some of the most widely accepted education ideas: that children should be treated as individuals, taught in small numbers, and given a measure of discretion over their own learning.
A. a benign
B. an orthodox
C. an anomalous
6. Most capuchin monkey conflict involves such a (i) ________ repertoire of gestural and vocal signals that it is difficult for researchers to tease apart the meaning of the individual signals. This (ii) ________ is (iii)________ by the fact that many signals seem to shift in meaning according to the context in
which they are produced and the developmental stage of the individuals producing them.
7. Architects may be more extroverted and therefore the more ________ members of a bridge design team but they are not always the most essential.
8. Although scientific progress leads to constant revision of ideas, one observation that has remained ________ over the years is that there are a lot of insects in the world: some 950,000 species have been identified.
9. Anne Carson’s book Nox is, very deliberately, ________ literary object -- the opposite of an e-reader, which is designed to vanish in your palm as you read on a train.
A. an evanescent
B. a cumbersome
C. an immutable
D. an unwieldy
E. an ephemeral
F. an flexible
10. One of the peculiarities of human is that we irrationally gravitate to the predictable and avoid risk, whatever the reason for this ________, it is hardly a sound basis for dealing with complex, long-term problems.