1. The space travels described in science fiction stories always used to be epic adventures, in comparison to which current journals in space seem quite ________.
2. Medieval cathedrals still stand as marvels of architecture, but as far as modern science is concerned, medieval physics and chemistry are simple irrelevant, at best to dead end, at worst the very ________ of what science is supposed to be.
3. Although trains may use energy more (i)________ than do automobiles, the latter move only when they contain at least one occupant, whereas railway carriages spend a considerable amount of time running up and down the tracks (ii)________, or nearly so.
4. Historian Barbara Alpern Engle’s task in writing a book about women in Russia must have been a (i)________ one, because the (ii)________ the Russian empire’s peoples meant that Russian women could never be treated as a homogeneous group.
D. unity among
E. disinterest in
F. diversity of
5. One sometimes hear that Marco Polo introduced pasta to the Western World, having encountered it in China. This durable myth, which (i)________ nothing should have been known of pasta in Italy until 1295, when Marco Polo returned from the Far East can easily be (ii)________ by point out that there are Italian references to pasta that (iii)________.
G. praise its virtues
H. can be authenticated
I. predate that event
6. Both very good and very bad books are easy to review. Praise and (i)________ come easily. But what of books that contain a muddle of virtues and vices? Here the reviewer’s task is more (ii)________ : the author’s useful and thought-provoking observations need to be (iii)________ the useless and tedious.
G. supplanted by
H. sifted from
I. overshadowed by
7. Even though women in the United States could not gain the rights to vote until 1920, throughout the nineteenth century many feminist goals were gradually ________, especially the rights of married women to control their own property.
8. It is hardly ________ the committee calls for: rudimentary competence would be an improvement on the current chaos.
9. Edited collections of scholarly essays generally tend to be somewhat uneven: they suffer from the ________ subject matter of the various essays, the lack of an overarching and consistent thesis and the variable quantity of the contributions.
10. Films that critics have slumbered through rarely generate industry excitement, eventhough the critics’ ________ reception may be less the fault of the move than of its unfortunate time slot near a fatiguing film festivals conclusion.