1. Among the Meakambut people of Papua New Guinea, legends are associated with specific caves in the Sepik region, and these legends are ________ : only the cave owner can share its secrets.
2. It is a paradox of the V that they mere both ________ and, through their empire, cosmopolitan.
3. Despite the scathing precision with which she satirizes the lives of social aspirants and moneyed folk, the writer appears to (i)________ being part of the world she presents as so (ii)________ .
4. The contemporary trend whereby fashion designers flout mainstream tradition is unique only in its (i)________; earlier fashion designers experienced the same (ii)________ impulse, albeit in a less extreme form.
5. Memory-prompt technology such as online birthday reminders dose more than enhance our recall abilities; it induces us to (i)________ even more behaviors to automated progresses. Witness the (ii)________ a program that allows us to create computer greeting cards for the entire year in one setting.
D. controversy over
E. popularity of
F. sophistication of
6. Biologists have little (i)________ drawing the link between the success of humanity and human (ii)________. Indeed, many biologists claim that this attributes the ability to (iii)________, or, to put it more sharply, to make individuals subordinate their self-interest to the needs of the group lies at the root of human achievement.
A. consensus regarding
B. compunction about
C. justification for
7. Progressive and reactionary populist movements are not necessarily ________: each way, and usually does, process features of the other.
8. Flawed as it may be because it is conducted by subjective scientist, science itself has method that help us ________ our bias and talk about objective reality with some validity.
9. In Japanese aesthetics, especially but not only in Noh, beauty contains the idea of ________: beauty must have an air of evanescence, the imitation of its own demise.
10. Although one can adduce myriad of examples of ecosystem disruption by nonindigenous species, nevertheless most introduced species that survive in fact to have quite ________ effects on the ecosystem they have invaded.