36. Sometimes when their trainer gives the hand signal for “Do something creative together” two dolphins circle a pool in tandem and then leap through the air simultaneously. On the other occasions, the same signal elicits synchronized backward swims or tail-waving. These behaviors are not simply learned responses to a given stimulus. Rather, dolphins are capable of higher cognitive functions that may include the use of language and forethought.
Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?
A.Mammals have some resemblance to one another with respect to bodily function and brain structure.
B.The dolphins often exhibit complex new responses to the hand signal.
C.The dolphins are given food incentives as part of their training.
D.Dolphins do not interact with humans the way they interact with one another.
E.Some of the behaviors mentioned are exhibited by dolphins in their natural habitat
B.选项中的“new responses”，说明了dolphins能够经过思考，再作出一个新的反映，而不是单单的作出learned responses to a given stimulus. 此选项支持了结论中的cognitive functions，是答案。
37. Editorialist: Drivers with a large number of demerit points who additionally have been convicted of a serious driving-relative offense should either be sentenced to jail or be forced to receive driver reeducation, since to do otherwise would be to allow a crime to go unpunished. Only if such drivers are likely to be made more responsible drivers should driver re-education be recommended for them. Unfortunately, it is always almost impossible to make drivers with a large number of demerit points more responsible drivers.
If the editorialist’s statements are true, they provide the most support for which one of the following?
A.Drivers with a large number of demerit points who have been convicted of a serious driving-related offense should be sent to jail.
B.Driver re-education offers the best chance of making drivers with a large number of demerit points responsible drivers.
C.Driver re-education is not a harsh enough punishment for anyone convicted of a serious driving-related offense who has also
D.Driver re-education should not be recommended for those who have committed no serious
E.Drivers with a larger number of demerit points but no conviction for a serious driving-related offense should receive driver re-education rather than jail
38. Amphibian populations are declining in numbers worldwide. Not coincidentally, the earth’s ozone layer has been continuously depleted throughout the last 50 years. Atmospheric ozone blocks UV-B, a type of ultraviolet radiation that is continuously produced by the sun, and which can damage genes. Because amphibians lack hair, hide, or feathers to shield them, they are particularly vulnerable to UV-B radiation. In addition, their gelatinous eggs lack the protection of leathery or hard shells. Thus, the primary cause of the declining amphibian population is the depletion of the ozone layer.
Each of the following, if true, would strengthen the argument EXCEPT:
A.Of the various types of radiation blocked by atmospheric ozone, UV-B is the only type that can damage genes.
B.Amphibian populations are declining far more rapidly than are the populations of non-amphibian species whose tissues and eggs have more natural protection from UV-B.
C.Atmospheric ozone has been significantly depleted above all the areas of the world in which amphibian populations are declining.
D.The natural habitat of amphibians has not become smaller over the past century.
E.Amphibian populations have declined continuously for the last 50 years.
39. Quasars---celestial objects so far away that their light takes at least 500 million years to reach Earth---have been seen since 1963. For anything that far away to appear from Earth the way quasars do, it would have to burn steadily at a rate that produces more light than 90 billion suns would produce. But nothing that burns at a rate that produces that much light could exist for more than about 100 million years.
If the statements above are true, which one of the following must also be true on the basis of them?
A.Instruments in use before 1963 were not sensitive enough to permit quasars to be seen.
B.Light from quasars first began reaching Earth in 1963.
C.Anything that from Earth appears as bright as a quasar does must produce more light than would be produced by 90 billion suns.
D.Nothing that is as far from Earth as quasars are can continue to exist for more than about 100 million years.
E.No quasar that has ever been seen from Earth exists any longer.
40. More and more computer programs that provide solutions to mathematical problems in engineering are being produced, and it is thus increasingly unnecessary for practicing engineers to have thorough understanding of fundamental mathematical principles. Consequently, in training engineers who will work in industry, less emphasis should be placed on mathematical principles, so that space in the engineering curriculum will be available for other important subjects.
Which one of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument given for the recommendation above?
A.The effective use of computer program that provide solutions to mathematical problems in engineering requires an understanding of mathematical principles.
B.Many of the computer programs that provide solutions to mathematical problems in engineering are already in routine use.
C.Development of composites and other such new materials has meant that the curriculum for engineers who will work in industry must allow time for teaching the properties of these materials.
D.Most of the computer programs that provide solutions to mathematical problems in engineering can be run on the types of computers available to most engineering firms.
E.The engineering curriculum already requires that engineering students be familiar with and able to use a variety of computer programs.
A) Weaken, 因为数学是使用这些电脑程序的必要条件，B) C) D) E) irrelevant