177. The study of an academic discipline alters the way we perceive the world. After studying the discipline, we see the same world as before, but with different eyes.
a) 对于自然学科的学习，给了我们科学知识，让我们了解了世界的本质;对进化论evolutionism的学习可以使我们改变了过去认为上帝创造了世界的观点，而科学的认为所有物种都是逐渐进化而来的。魏格纳的板块学说使我们认识到现状的大陆不断漂移而不是恒久不变的，非洲和南美洲过去曾经是相连的continental drift and plate tectonics
b) 对哲学和社会学科的学习，让我们学会用辩证，发展的眼光来看待问题;如：dialectic辩证法教给我们将事物一分为二的看待，有好有坏;Every coin has two sides.
232. "The purpose of education should be to create an academic environment that is separate from the outside world. This kind of environment is ideal because it allows students to focus on important ideas without being held back by practical concerns."
102. "For better or worse, education is a process that involves revising the ideas, beliefs, and values people held in the past."
128. "It is often asserted that the purpose of education is to free the mind and the spirit. In reality, however, formal education tends to restrain our minds and spirits rather than set them free."
201. "The purpose of education should be to provide students with a value system, a standard, a set of ideas -- not to prepare them for a specific job."
222 "Learning for learning's sake is an outdated concept. Today, education must serve an ulterior purpose and be directed toward clear goals."
182. "It is dangerous to trust only intelligence."