1. Even though formidable winters are the norm in the Dakotas, many people were unprepared for the------- of the blizzard of 1888.
2. As the first streamlined car, the Airflow represented a ------- in automotive development, and although its sales were -------, it had an immense influence on automobile design.
3. While nurturing parents can compensate for adversity, cold or inconsistent parents may ------ it.
4. The architects of New York's early skyscrapers, hinting here at a twelfth-century cathedral, there at a fifteenth-century palace, sought to legitimize the city's social strivings by ----- a history the city did not truly -----.
5. Actual events in the history of life on Earth are accidental in that any outcome embodies just one ----- among millions; yet each out-come can be ----- interpreted.
6. Although some of her fellow scientists ------ the unorthodox laboratory methodology that others found innovative, unanimous praise greeted her experimental results: at once pioneering and -------.
7. Early critics of Emily Dickinson's poetry mistook for simplemindedness the surface of artlessness that in fact she constructed with such -------.